Thursday, January 29, 2009

ughh!!!

I know, i know, I'm terrible about updating this thing!!!

Whats been new? uhhh...work...work....WORK! Thats ALL I seem to do anymore. yesterday was my first day off in 8 days. and it's not like I'm at work for six hours and thats it, I am at work for 9 hours a day, add in an additional 2.5 for the bus and THATS my day. My days are so consumed with my job that I barely have time for anything else.

I'm officially done with my front desk training, which is awesome. I hate training and I hate new jobs. I know thats terrible but it's true. I spent six straight days with the same trainer working all night shifts doing check ins and answering the most random questions ever, some of them only once, and some of them over and over again. Since my trainer is actually concierge, alot of questions that I don't even need to know the answers to, he'd answer for me, which worried me because i'm like thinking ''wow, i have SO much to know and I don't know like any of it''...but i decided that now that i'm on my own, if they ask about tickets or dining or anything that I don't know the answers to, I'll send them right over to concierge. I don't care.

My last day of training I had my first manager evaluation. Basically what happens is the manager stands behind you with a clipboard and watches you check in a guest to make sure that you do it correctly, do it efficiently, and be as polite as fucking possible. My first evaluation was good, and my manager said it was really good other than the fact that I didn't verify the names and ages of the children. ehh whatever. I was so happy to have that over with. it was something i had been dreading since day one.

My second evaluation came on my first day alone by a different manager. I didn't realize he was doing it until halfway through, and the only thing he said that I didnt do right was I explained the welcome packet TOO MUCH....OKAY....when is assisting a guest too much a bad thing? who gives a shit! I think he was just looking for something to mark me down for or something.

My third evaluation was done by a third manager on my second day alone. She said I did really well, again, except this time the thing I messed up on is I didn't say ''Good afternoon! Welcome to the contemporary!''....are you serious? since when is ''hi, how are you?" not enough?

Anyway, I'm glad my evaluations are going well. If I am getting awesome evaluations at a four diamond hotel already and I can keep it up, this will look really really good on my record. imagine what will happen when i return to the courtyard, a two? three? NOT FOUR diamond hotel and deliver the same excellent service there. It will be awesome!


Some random funny things that have happened so far:

1. a lady told me I didn't know what i was doing because she asked what time her bus is coming...and since I'm not a mindreader I asked her if she received the voucher on her door and shes like "well yeah i think it said 7:55...oh nevermind, you don't seem to know what you are doing!!"

2. a guy approaches the desk and says in a serious voice ''I have a big problem''...sets a shotgun on the front desk counter. I back up a little. ''I need a box that will fit this so I can take it on the plane with me''...quickly, i sent him over to the package center. 30 minutes later I see him walking across the lobby with a huge rectangular box and a smile on his face as he waved me goodbye. for a minute, i WAS worried.

3. i was printing out parking permits for guests arriving on the following day and there is seriously a guy at the hotel right now named mr. Butt. HONESTLY! thats his name. i'm so glad I didn't have to check him in. Especially since we are required to use the guests name as often as possible. ''Checking in, the last name is Butt'' ''Good afternoon Mr. Butt, how are you today?" "Mr Butt, would you like to place a credit card on file for incidentals?" ''Thank you Mr Butt, enjoy your stay here!''

4. a lady was literally crying to me at the front desk because we wouldn't give her a check out later than 12PM (check out is at 11:00) ..I called a manager and all was well.

I can't believe how many complaints I get there! I hate working mornings because thats when everyone complains!!! One guy ranted about his ENTIRE vacation being ruined over the dumbest things and I had to pretend to REALLY!! care. Another lady said that she found urine, blood and pubic hair in her room when she checked in. How much of a lie does that sound like? Seriously. She went on and on and on and claimed she was gonna post pictures on the internet blah blah blah. just one thing after another. I don't know what they think I'm gonna do about it other than listen but I'm starting to feel more of a counselor than a front desk associate...

Anyway Ive been working so many crazy hours that now I'm sick and I have no voice today. It really sucks. Especially since today is my day off! Yesterday was my day off too but I enjoyed it because I went to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I saw an incredible show of beauty & the beast and it was awesome!!! i uploaded some videos on youtube also, and i'll add the links later on. tonight i was supposed to see fantasmic with a friend but i guess thats not going to happen since i have no voice!!!

Well I have to get ready for the day, I am going to WalMart soon to get some things. i'll write later gators.

No comments: