Monday, November 9, 2009

Well it's been awhile

I seriously suck at updating. Okay so here's what's been going on with me. Still working as seasonal at the Contemporary. I've had a couple job interviews which has been exciting, nerve-wrecking (wracking?), scary, stressful, you know.

My first interview that I had gotten was for the Orlando World Center Marriott, which was awesome because it's right across the street from where I reside, and it's also the world's largest Marriott. I couldn't even believe I had an interview there considering how difficult the application process had been. Marriott does all their applications through Marriott.com now and in some of them they include a timed test where you read descriptions of situations and you have to answer how you would handle them. I did this while I was at work, while trying to assist guests, but apparently I did well because 12 hours later they called me for an interview. The interview was very difficult as well. I was interviewed by four people who were managers and supervisors so that was intimidating, but I still felt REALLY good about it and I wouldn't have changed a single thing that I said. All my answers, I believe, were top notch. The interview lasted almost a full hour, which is probably the longest interview I've ever been to. 24 hours later I got a call asking me to come in for a second interview. I was ecstatic. The second interview was not as long..maybe 10-15 minutes. Good thing I didn't drive any more than 2 minutes, otherwise I would have been angry. There were only 2 interviewers this time, both who I did not meet previously. I felt that interview went pretty well as well, and I once again spoke with the hiring manager and she said she hoped things would go well for me and I'd hear from her later in the week.

Yea I did hear back later in the week...not even 24 hours later I received one of those ''Thank you for taking the time to come and talk to us, however, we have decided to pursue another candidate who more closely meets the requirements...'' awesome. It WAS pretty devestating, I can't lie, I was pretty upset because I had no idea where I went wrong. i did SO well! i gave it my all!

After spending some time thinking about it I decided that it was probably for the best. This hotel was probably too much for me anyway, considering it's so large in size and it would probably be overwhelming for me. I don't know how many rooms it has, but the Contemporary only has like a thousand so I'm not used to working in a hotel that has like...four thousand plus a million convention spaces. So I applied at a few more Marriott hotels, thinking why not. I actually DID receive a call for a phone interview from another very reputable Marriott, the Marriott at Grande Lakes. I did pretty well with the phone interview, and also received a call from the hiring manager at the Fairfield Inn at the Marriott Village in Lake Buena Vista, as well as a missed call from the Ritz Carlton. So many opportunities, yet I wasn't feeling on top of the world like I thought I would. To be honest, I love my job at the Contemporary. I know I've said Disney isn't my future, but I do enjoy my co-workers at the Contemporary and I am comfortable with what I do. It's like going on a year that I've worked there and some people are starting to feel like family.

Anyway, I wound up never returning the call to the Ritz Carlton, but I did go in for an interview at the Fairfield. The Marriott Village in Lake Buena Vista is very impressive. It consists of a Springhill Suites, a Fairfield, and a Courtyard. Altogether, it has about 1100 rooms. The properties are REALLY nice and updated, and in my interview I learned that you become cross trained to learn all three front desks. To me that was awesome because you get so much experience in the different Marriott brands, rather than JUST learning what the Courtyard is all about or just the Fairfield you learn all three. The interview itself was not as intimidating as the one at the World Center was, but it was still a challenge. I felt more comfortable with my interviewer, mostly because it was just one person and because she seemed very genuine. The interview lasted about an hour, and she said I'd hear back from her later in the week.

well I did hear back, 24 hours later i got an email stating the same ol, same ol ''we found someone better sooo....just forget it''. once again, I was pretty disappointed to read that and see that ONCE AGAIN my efforts have not paid off. I'm trying to look at it from the perspective that there's probably just other people out there who have more experience than me. I mean to be honest I don't have a lot of front desk experience. Only a couple months at the Courtyard, and that BARELY counts, and then about 10 months with Disney. They are probably able to find people who have years of experience.

So for right now I've decided to just keep at it with Disney. Even though it's not where I want to be forever, it's where I want to be right now. In about 9 more days I will be eligible for full time and right when that moment happens you better believe i will be at Casting trying to get this worked out so I can become full time with some sort of job security lol. I've been lucky, most weeks I get 5 days to work but this week i got very unlucky and only got THREE days to work. I was able to pick up a shift yesterday so that's a little bit better. i signed up for additional hours for the next 2 weeks so hopefully next week I'll get some overtime, if not 5 days.

So basically that's all that is new with me at work. chris and i painted the apartment last week and it looks really good. i love it. so nice to not have boring white walls and no personality to our rooms. other than that, my personal life is in shambles. i have gotten to the point of having literally no friends. i have coworkers that i like talking to at work but nothing is progressing from that...most of them are college program and they'll be leaving before I know it, so why do that to myself. that was one thing i was looking forward to about getting a new job was finding people who are permanately in orlando so i could make some friends. it's so hard to make friends, seriously. chris's birthday is in 2 weeks, followed by thanksgiving like literally the day after, and before you know it it will be christmas. i need to start working like 80 hours a week if i want to afford all of that. fuck my life. ahhhh.

well I'm off of work for the next 2 days so hopefully i'll find something to do. i have no money, no gas in my car, it's too windy to go outside and sit by the pool so I'm just going to relax. I need to anyway, I've been sick for a couple of days and so im just trying to get over that so relaxation sounds like a good idea to me. I'll write later on..byebye

No comments: